Molecular imaging is the visualization, characterization and measurement of biological processes at the molecular and cellular levels in humans and other living systems. Molecular Imaging typically includes two- or three-dimensional imaging as well as quantification over time. The techniques used include radiotracer imaging/nuclear medicine, MRI, MRS, optical imaging, ultrasound and others. (Source)
Small-animal or preclinical imaging provides a noninvasive means of assaying biological structure and function in vivo, yielding quantitative, spatially and temporally indexed information by noninvasive means.The clinically translatable, noninvasive, and quantitative nature of small-animal imaging makes it an invaluable component of modern biomedical research.
Among the different imaging modalities, nuclear medicine-based techniques (positron emission tomography [PET] and single photon emission computed tomography [SPECT]), optical imaging (OI), computed tomography (CT), magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), magnetic resonance spectroscopy imaging (MRSI), and ultrasound are the most suitable for non-invasive in vivo imaging.
For publications directly related to systems by Mediso, please visit Publications.
- Kiessling, Fabian, Pichler, Bernd J.Small Animal Imaging - Basics and Practical Guide (Springer, 2011)
This is the first book to cover all the practical basics in small animal imaging, and it proves an invaluable aid for researchers, students, and technicians.
- Hedrich, H. J. The Laboratory Mouse (Second Edition) (Academic Press, 2012)
Selected Review Articles
- Piel, M., Vernaleken, I. & Rösch, F. Positron Emission Tomography in CNS Drug Discovery and Drug Monitoring. J. Med. Chem. (2014). PubMed
- De Jong, M., Essers, J. & van Weerden, W. M. Imaging preclinical tumour models: improving translational power. Nat Rev Cancer 14, 481–493 (2014) PubMed
- Cunha, L. et al. Preclinical Imaging: an Essential Ally in Modern Biosciences. Mol Diagn Ther 1–21 (2014) PubMed
- James, M. L. & Gambhir, S. S. A Molecular Imaging Primer: Modalities, Imaging Agents, and Applications. Physiol Rev 92, 897–965 (2012) PubMed
- Khalil, M. M. et al. Molecular SPECT Imaging: An Overview. International Journal of Molecular Imaging 2011, (2011)
- Kagadis et al. In vivo small animal imaging: Current status and future prospects. Medical Physics 37, 6421–6442 (2010) PubMed
- Rowland, D. J. & Cherry, S. R. Small-Animal Preclinical Nuclear Medicine Instrumentation and Methodology. Seminars in Nuclear Medicine 38, 209–222 (2008) PubMed
- Willmann, J. K.et al Molecular imaging in drug development. Nat Rev Drug Discov 7, 591–607 (2008) PubMed
- Meikle, S. R. et al Small animal SPECT and its place in the matrix of molecular imaging technologies. Phys. Med. Biol. 50, R45 (2005) PubMed